In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

#22 Carrying The Load

This weeks entry will be a bit on the long side so I figured I'd start it out with some humor, albeit dark as a chocolate jungle, but humor just the same.



I know, the timing is just impeccable. Both Ha and I had a really good laugh.  Especially because they've taken the time and consideration to fill it out halfway for me.  Off what list or database do you suppose they gleaned my stats?  Something like "For those of you about to die...I give you FIRE!"  What was that old song from Arthur Brown? 

Included was literature on their services, and on the very last page, down at the bottom, in what looks like a size 6 font, it says, "Please accept our apologies if this letter has reached you at a time of serious illness or death in your family."  Why would they apologize for that?  It seems like that would be the best time to WIN a personally consumptive BBQ.  Heck, that's just good business.  Silver lining for the loved ones and all. May he rest in urn or scattered ashes.

I’ve been trying real hard to keep the lamp light bright and shining, but I dunno, this week has been a bit difficult at times.  Luz on, luz off, as Zachery would say.  A sudden case of acute diverticulitis and the accompanying pain had me thinking, on at least three occasions, that it was time to greet my Jesus.  Holy cow this shit can hurt...and it can hurt right through the huge doses of opiates I’m already taking.  Hurt to the point of needing “Jungle Juice” at regular intervals.  On Tuesday I cancelled my Vitafusion at Dr. Kunin’s and tried to sleep most of the day. 

Blah, blah, blah, pain and more pain, blah, blah, a two day scrambled egg, cottage cheese and Popsicle fast.  I'm just skipping most of the wailing namby-pamby bullshit.  It gets so tiring to hear myself complain.  I do believe I’m on the mend now and will not have to visit the evil empire that is Kaiser.

I really do think terminal cancer is quite enough to get through without having to deal with such a lesser strata of malady.  But then again, since day one, the main source of problems and pain has been abdominal.  For a man whose passion, art and bane was food, and has spent his entire career in the kitchen being fulfilled and filled full—do you think there’s a message here?  I’ve battled overeating (and over-indulgent behaviors) for most of my life.  Maybe it’s time to go a little deeper into that symptom?  Just what I need, more self-inflicted stress.

Anyway, Wednesday Ha and I went to see Dr. Kelley at the VA for my monthly check.  We also met with some people from Palliative Care unit which was supposed to be the precursor to the VA’s hospice program, but the doctor, Barbara Drye, didn’t think I was ready.  My understanding from the info I got through Dr. Kelley was that we would meet with these hospice people, find one with whom we felt a level of comfortability, and then IF the time came we would know each other somewhat...it didn’t quite work out that way so Dr. Kelley said she’d check it out.  As far as the check-up went not a whole lot was new.  My bilirubin numbers, which were at an 8.1 on Kaiser’s last blood test was down to a 3.5.  I knew it had something to do with Dr. Kunin’s program but Dr. Kelley’s last VA blood draw the bili was at 4.9 and she said it’s a standard fluctuation.  But we know better huh?

It’s so great when Ha comes with me to my appointments.  She’s so present and attentive and makes me feel like I can weather anything thrown at me.  Like a layer of Qi armor just below my skin.  We tried a new Pho place after the VA and, of course, it paled in comparison to Turtle Tower.  But we were hungry and needed to get across the Golden Gate before the commuters.

OK, so I’ve got an appt. with Dr. Clark, my Kaiser honkologist, on the 2nd of March, so I figured I’d go in and get the blood-work done today, Sunday morning at 10am, no crowds, very little waiting, etc...plus, Ha and I could walk down by the Vallejo docks.  It's such a nice walk.  One good thing about Kaiser is they process the blood and email you the results usually on the same day.  You can also compare the previous few months with the current test in any category. I think these graphs, though a little out of focus, speak for themselves.

Bilirubin- A liver (hepatic) function panel is a blood test to check how well the liver is working. This test measures the blood levels of total protein, albumin, bilirubin, and liver enzymes. High or low levels may mean that liver damage or disease is present.

ALT- An alanine aminotransferase (ALT) test measures the amount of this enzyme in the blood.  ALT is found mainly in the liver, but also in smaller amounts in the kidneysheart, muscles, and pancreas.  ALT was formerly called serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT).  ALT is measured to see if the liver is damaged or diseased.  Low levels of ALT are normally found in the blood.  But when the liver is damaged or diseased, it releases ALT into the bloodstream, which makes ALT levels go up.  Most increases in ALT levels are caused by liver damage.


ALP- The liver makes more ALP than the other organs or the bones.  Some conditions cause large amounts of ALP in the blood.  These conditions include rapid bone growth (during puberty), bone disease (osteomalacia or Paget's disease), or a disease that affects how much calcium is in the blood (hyperparathyroidism), vitamin D deficiency, or damaged liver cells.

Now the next logical step is to assign the various treatments I've undergone to the graph's calendar,  and try to find out which program coincides with which numbers.  As you can see there's a huge spike between 11/2/10 and 2/5/11 on all three graphs. This cannot be a "standard" fluctuation. 


Pay attention to the smallest, most subtle moments, because happiness and growth is contained therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment