In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

#23 Baby Wyatt - Wonder of Wonders

Sir Wyatt the Red...head
Good lord the sweet holiness emanating from this baby, you could have pushed me off a pier with a pussycat whisker.  It was a truly unitive experience seeing Sharon cradling Wyatt and sitting in a big easy-chair, looking out at the San Francisco bay, a picture of proud motherhood.  Zachery, Wyatt’s big brother was napping quietly in the other room, but the ease of Sharon’s demeanor, and the confidence with which she handled Wyatt, you automatically knew she had done this before and clearly loved where she was in her life right now.  The father, my cousin Craig, had the same glowing sphere of light and beauty around him; anticipating mother and child’s every need, a smile for miles on his face.  Two boys.  What father wouldn’t be floating on clouds of ambrosia?
Ha and I just stood there staring for a while.  I can’t recall how long it was before Sharon asked us if we wanted to hold him.  I didn’t trust myself because of the amount of opiates in my system but Ha got pretty excited.  The handoff... and I finally remembered to pull out the camera.  Ha and I had decided not to have kids but we really do enjoy them when they become a part of our family.  I love when my sib Al sends me pictures of Amir’s latest escapades and outfits, not to mention his soccer addiction of late.  Ha was thoroughly enjoying Wyatt and talking to him, not baby-talk either, like many people do, but the words she spoke to him were very musical.  I should have brought the video camera.
Our gift to Wyatt was a young Mandaquat tree.  I know—I’ve never heard of it either.  Apparently it’s a crossbreed of, you guessed it, Mandarin Orange and Kumquat.  Great idea, and like a Kumquat you eat the peel as well as the flesh.  Ha and I wracked our brains for a gift idea that was unique.  So we get there, with the tree, and Craig tells us that when Zachery was born Sharon’s mom bought him a lemon tree.  So much for originality.  At least we’re in good company, great minds and all that.  I still think it’s a stellar idea and that it should become a family tradition!  A boom of thunder and crack of lightning illuminate the sky - I Have Spoken.  Besides, I think Ha and I will be buying another tree sooner rather than later.  I mean two boys are wonderful, and will be quite the handful growing up, being so close in age and all, but two boys and a girl just sounds so nice.  Far be it from a cousin or uncle to try and have any influence on any young couple in the family, or for that fact, Al?  A boy and a girl would be nice.  I know my timing is a little off right now, but just saying...
Ok, now that the good news is out of the way we can get back to the gloom and doom of cancer...or not.  Actually it was a decent week, besides this diverticulitis that doesn’t seem to want to let me be, it’s been fairly uneventful.  I did have an appointment with Dr. Clark, who seemed to be thrilled that my numbers are heading in the opposite direction, nice guy actually.  Also I went to a new acupuncturist, not because I was unhappy with Dr. Rossman, but I found (through Suzanne Friedman) someone much closer.  Christy Mahoney, I’ve had one appointment so far and she’s very confident, extremely knowledgeable in, not only acupuncture, but medical qigong as well.  I also really like that she pointed out some Qi meridians that I can work at home.  I dislike having to lose a team member, but my transportation issues being what they are, it’s a decision I had to make.

 To preview next week I’m having an MRI on Wednesday, and my port (that uncomfortable chunk of plastic in my chest) removed Thursday.  So for next week’s blog I should have a couple of stories.  In closing I must mention that Ha and my weekends together are extremely wonderful.  We’re enjoying each other’s company, laughing and hugging more, heck today we even cooked together!  It’s just a real gift to be able to let go of the cancer and focus on what’s in front of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment