In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

#20 Rough roads and Tense times

That was what this week was all about.  I guess that’s what I get for hoping to have a smooth and low-key week.  There was a bunch of stuff that made this week what it turned out to be, but moaning about it will just refresh my memory.  I’ve already taken the stressors into account, and realized what I can have an effect on and what is out of my control, and now it’s time to move on.  Besides, there were some very positive changes this week that are making me happy.  In this dark realm of cancer, happiness is a bolt from the lightening rod of hope that illuminates my soul...that’s gotta be good, huh? 

Dr. Kunin (pronounced like onion with a K) whom I’ve only seen twice, so this is still my initial impressions, has shown me another approach to cancer.  He doesn’t promise a cure but he does promise I’ll feel better and I might just get well when my body is functioning properly.  After my first appointment, he had me do a slew of blood-work to pinpoint all the areas where I was low and deficient in vitamins, minerals, etc... This week he took over an hour to explain how this all fit together.  His approach is humble, sincere, humorous (which was new for me, when it comes to my cancer, and doctors) and with a brilliance that comes from making what you feel is important, and are passionate about, your life’s work.  All that without a pedestal in sight!

Then I got my first I.V. infusion of vitamins from his right hand person, Jadwiga, (pronounced Eega or Veega, I’m still not sure) an amazing woman who runs Dr. Kunin’s office.  She is also a certified phlebotomist, and has one of the most confident and solid personas I’ve seen in quite some time...I would imagine some people easily intimidated by her. 

After the infusion, which took an hour, Dr Kunin got some family health history to add to my files.  My mom and sibling Al were there so that went fairly quickly.  Jadwiga filled me up a box of pills, powders, salves, and liquids for my in-between infusion days, which for the first three weeks will be twice a week, and that was it for the day.  There were a few pills and liquids missing due to stock shortage, but she promised she’d have it all by next week.

So, what’s the upshot of all of this?  How do I feel?  I feel quite a bit better.  I certainly have more energy.  The itching and dry skin has been reduced by three quarters, a major difference, and a joy not to have to constantly apply those creams.  My blood sugar levels seem a bit more manageable.  I’ve gone from between eight and ten finger pokes a day, to about five. And try though as I may, there’s no avoiding the fact that in comparison to the Burzynski price tag, the debt we’re incurring, hopefully lessened by contributions here, is far from daunting, overwhelming, and demoralizing.  This too adds to my overall better demeanor.

2 comments:

  1. Our belated love to you Hunter and Ha on Valentines Day 2011 ~ You continue to be in our thoughts and within our hearts. Your Neighbors, Harold and Robin Painter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robin and Harold, for your great support. We are lucky to have you as our friends. We wish you all the best. Hunter and Ha.

    ReplyDelete