In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

#12 First visit with Dr. Corey Schwartz (April 29, 2010)

We showed up en masse, there were six of us.  Myself and Ha, Mumsy, my sib Al and her wife Jessie, and our secret weapon, my cousin Sharon.  Sharon works for a pharmaceutical company and a good part of her job is to study cancer and cancer drugs.  She was an incredible asset that day.  And she’s a Samurai warrior when it comes to dealing with oncologists. But when it comes to her kin, do not mess with Sharon’s family!  I had a whole new respect for her that day.  I’m pretty sure Dr. Schwartz, after his 15 minute private conversation with her, had not only respect, but when he came back in the room, the playing field seemed to be completely level.


We then talked about therapies but because of my AFP levels and portal vein blockage, previous history, on and on, wasn't going to be an option.  I was left with one of those choices that's not really a choice.  The only thing left for me was this drug called Nexavar (Sorafenib) which is, and Dr. Schwartz made this abundantly clear that it was a life extending drug, NOT a cure in any way shape or form.  Then he said I had about five or six months to live, and with the Nexavar possibly eight.  Eyes met eyes and looked away, the room seemed close, the air went out. 


Dr. Schwartz excused himself.  “Do not forget about the pain clinic appointment.” I said, and he replied “I’ll make that right now.”  Which if it was done then the pain clinic lost it because it took over a month to get in there and then a month to find the right mix that worked.  It was beginning to feel like every time I left Kaiser in Vallejo that I felt worse than when I went in.  Especially in the months to come and the emergency visits.  I began to think that they're gonna kill me in this effing place!

My amazing sibling’s best friend’s father happens to be Dr. Lawrence H. Einhorn.  He’s the doctor who led the team that cured Lance Armstrong.  If you gotta drop a name in the cancer world very few carry such gravity.  Because of this connection and some serious phone-work Al had gotten some names of doctors in Kaiser and the V.A. (I’m a Veteran and have veterans insurance too.)  Long story short, I was fortunate enough to see Dr. Katie Kelley at the V.A., she worked full time at U.C.S.F. Cancer Center and one day at the V.A. U.C.S.F. is also where Kaiser sends all their liver transplant, among other therapies like clinical trials when the trial is not available at Kaiser, that type of thing.

Dr. Kelley has a great reputation and is a wonderfully caring person.  And now she was my oncologist.  I will never cease to be amazed at my siblings ability to make such a huge change at the exact moment I need it.  Dr. Kelley talked with Dr. Schwartz and he set up a telephone appointment with me so he could be kept in the loop.  On the day Schwartz was supposed to call he asked for someone else? “Who”, I said.  He repeated.  I said “this is your liver cancer patient, Hunter Austin.”  “Oh, do you have an appointment today? The computer must have made a mistake.”  (I can't tell you how much I love that excuse) I was flabbergasted.  Enough of that nonsense, suffice it to say I haven’t, to this day, heard from him.  Thrive...oh yeah!  I did see him in the hallway when I was picking up a prescription and he looked right at me and walked on by.  I stopped and said “Dr. Schwartz!”  He turned and still nothing.  “Hunter Austin? Liver cancer?” “Oh, how are you?”   I chuckled, said “great” and kept walking.  I believe I heard him saying “I’m sorry, I have so many patients... .”

No comments:

Post a Comment