In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

#27 One Year Since and Six Months Past

On March 31st it had been one year since my diagnosis, and six months past my prognosis... and the clock goes tic-tock Doc, tic-tock.  Part of me wants to march in to that bastard’s office and make some trouble in a publicly humiliating sort of way, but then again, people like him are not worth my time.  Time; every second a precious commodity, another opportunity to love and laugh and now inhale the first fragrances of a new Spring.  A different Spring than the ones before.  The small blossoms that will become French Plums in our backyard, and the tiny buds which are already flowering into the roses out front. I’ll snip our first vase-full tomorrow.

  Along with all the beauty comes the heat, which used to be good with me, but ever since my chemo treatments it is unbearable.  The sun on any exposed skin feels like it’s burning to a blister, and itches for days after, and when the house heats up it robs me of all my energy, it feels like I’m coming down with the flu, and I can only sleep for an hour at a time constantly changing my shirt and shorts because they’re drenched from sweat. Ha and I are trying to get the money for a portable air conditioner as conventional AC’s won’t work in our slide to the side windows.  We have Lisa, our social worker from the hospice team working on that.

Ahh yes, hospice.  New info hmmm?  Well, most people are unaware what hospice is really all about.  It can be as much as seven days a week high maintenance care and drug administration— to what I’m on, which is a once a week, forty-five minute check in visit, from my nurse, Patty.  They are also there for people, like me, who are done going to the emergency room when something scary happens.  They are available 24-7.  My oncologist, Dr. Katie Kelley, recommended that we check it out sooner rather than later because this way we won’t have a bunch of strangers storming the house if I ever need the high maintenance hospice care. 

Physically and mentally I’m doing quite a bit better than I was the week before last.  That was a rough go and takes a while to recuperate from.  I don’t think I’m fully recuperated yet because the pain is still a couple of points up...patience.  Last Saturday’s acupuncture session was extremely powerful and helpful.  Christy said it may make me kinda sleepy because she was working on a number of pain meridians.  That was no lie, it felt like all I did was sleep for two days! But it did put me on the mend, and until those hot days I was doing fairly well.  But yesterday and today was good.  Ha and I didn’t really do anything special other than spend time together and that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment