In March 2010, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB Liver Cancer and given six months to live…

Hi everyone, just to let you know that I'm gone this afternoon, Mmmkay! Hunt - July 6, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Shiva for Hunter

It was a love fest.   From the moment I walked into Ha’s place, I felt the warmth of the group.  Even though there were several people I had not met, I felt welcomed and put at ease with everyone for several of the guests were making a point of greeting and engaging in conversations with those of us who were fairly new to the family and friends.

The day was perfect: sunny with an occasional white cloud drifting by.  Lovely balmy weather, with a soft breeze.  It was like the weather been planned especially for a celebration of Hunter’s life.   Beautiful people gathered together for a beautiful honoring of the life of our dearly beloved Hunter.  There was a lot of laughter remembering his witty comments, and pleasure in recalling the great memories we had.   Ha and Barbra moved gracefully through the group consoling all of us, more concerned for our comfort than asking for commiseration from us. 

Also, I don’t know who they were, but the best cooks in the area  brought wonderful food for us to eat, honoring the great chef himself.  There was an abundant amount of hearty, delicious cooked dishes and refreshing fruits and a beautiful little cake we shared as we sang Happy Birthday to Hunter, who had just moved into his 56th year.  It felt as if he were with us holding Ha’s hand as we saluted him.  That was one of my most cherished memories of him, of his great love for Ha, having her close beside him as he read his poetry and her quiet presence supporting him.

And to my dearest friend Barbra, who has gone through the valley of darkness too, while she gave her boundless love and energy to support Ha’s and Hunter’s brave efforts to beat the odds.  I am so proud she is my good friend.  There was never a moment of “poor me” but only courage and the willingness to help whenever there was a need, day and night.

Nearing the end of the gathering of family and friends, Barbra asked us to join her in reading the Mourner’s Kaddish, a beautiful closing prayer.

Frances Elliott
July 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment